Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Metal Board How To

Okay lets see if I can describe this well enough for you to understand....

1. I found the sheet metal at Home Depot, I looked for it again this year and couldn't find it but found it at Lowe's....it is REALLY big, like bigger than a sheet of poster board.

2. the wood is a 1 X 8 board that my husband cut to a length that is the same as the metal. (does that make sense?)

3. I painted the board black with leftover high gloss interior paint that we had.

4. I didn't not cut down the metal.....this means that I laid the metal so it was horizontal (for instance if you took an 8 X 11 sheet and laid it so the 11 went across horizontally.) Than I drew with Permanent Marker and a straight edge a line making the line at 7 inches. This makes a long strip of metal 7 inches wide. I cut them with normal scissors...nothing special...it was actually very easy to cut but the edges turn out very sharp so be CAREFUL!

5. I used super glue to glue metal too the board.

6. Hubby than drilled two hole in the top of the metal and board to sting cute ribbon through for a faux hanger. (we also put a picture hanger on the back of the board. So when you hang it you can put it on the wall with the picture hook, that make it look like the ribbon is holding it up but taping the ribbon to the wall....yes i tape my faux ribbon hangers to the wall.

OR you can skip that whole step and just give an easel to hold up the board.

Yes I made the marble magnets...there are better tutorials all over the web for the but here is my basic instruction.

I got the marbles at Target in the vase section, they actually are called vase filler. There are all different sizes, I got the biggest roundest ones.

I use perfect glue #1 by liquid nail.

I simply rub the glue on smoothly to the back of the magnet...than lay it on a scrap piece of paper. I do a whole bunch at at time covering my scrap table with them. I let them dry over night.

Than I cut out around the marble...none of the marbles are perfectly round so do NOT cut the paper first b/c yo will still be trimming it later. It is very easy to cut around and is surprisingly fast.

I use the think round magnets that come maybe 30 to a package for 6 dollars.

I glue the magnet onto the paperbacked marble, using the same glue and I let it dry overnight.

And you have a simple very cute magnet.

Now here is the catch....I tried other glues and it wasn't successful. The magnets either slowly fell apart crashing onto my floor off the fridge or would soak the paper so much it was just a huge gloppy mess. Also you have to use strong magnets or you get a magnet stuck to the fridge and the paper and marble just fall off of it b/c it is too heavy for the magnet.

So you might want to experiment a bit first.

Let me know if this doesn't make sense, or if you need more direction.

Happy Crafting!!

0 comments: