Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The glass ornament

So this is the post to try to explain how to make those glass ornaments that I showed in the "I can make that Party" post.



I cannot find the template I used and I am still trying to dig out the box that my Christmas ornament crafty stuff is in but I will explain so that you organized people out there can get some kind of idea of what I did.



You will need:

a round glass ornament

a picture

a circle template,

a patterned paper

a pencil with an eraser on the end

ribbon

and a paint marker



Okay so after trial and error I found that one of my dinner glasses was the same size as the ornament I was using. This means that when you insert the paper in to the ornament the paper will unroll and be the same dimension as the inside of the glass ornament.

So I cut out that size circle from my picture and the patterned paper. Adhered the paper to the back of the picture.

Than really carefully pull the metal hanger top thing off the ornament.

You will roll very gently the circle of paper and photo into a tube and put it inside the ornament.

This is where the pencil with eraser comes in handy. I used the eraser end to open up the edges of the rolled paper (the paper should bounce open when it is completely inside the ornament). The eraser end allows for some grip on the the paper and you can move the paper around in the glass to get it to be correctly positioned (so that people are laying sideways in the ornament).

This is the HARDEST part. And I broke a few tyring to get the photo the right way....so don't get frustrated just keep trying.



When you have the picture positioned put the hanger metal part back on and tie a cute ribbon on top. Then on the back I wrote the year and where we were. Some aren't a place but a few words like "Ethan's first toe in the pacific ocean" I kept it really short and sweet though.



I hope that helps some of you....it doesn't seem to do much without pictures though so I will get on that. I thought we'd be out of town for the holiday but we are here so I am hoping to find some time to work on this for you!



Happy ornament making!!

2 comments:

Jennie said...

ooohh! i love these! i just might have to make them!

Anonymous said...

My MIL made these for me years ago and i love them so much. i have since had another child and i wish he had one. i may attempt to make my own. thank you for sharing.